Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Summery Kale and Bean Salad

Practice tonight was a HOT 4.75 miles at the UNCW track. 

When you've spent an hour out in 90+ degrees training, especially when it's the second workout of the day, you know your refuel post workout is just that much more important!

I like cold foods after a hot workout like that. I knew I needed to include plants, lean proteins and some electrolytes to rehydrate. After two bottles of water, I immediately chugged this when I got home. I hate coconut water, but it's great for electrolyte restoring and when it's mixed with a bit of pineapple, I can handle it. But it's gotta be COLD.


Doesn't Muffy look like such a creeper in the background? Ha.


Now, I introduce to you, my new go-to salad!

Summery Kale and Bean Salad


In the bowl:
  • Kale, chopped
  • Shredded carrots
  • 1/8 cup garbanzo beans
  • 1/8 cup edamame
  • 1/8 cup kidney beans
  • 1/8 cup navy beans
  • 1/8 white beans
  • 1/8 pinto beans
  • 1 small mandarin orange peeled and sliced
  • 1/8 cup of chopped pecans
  • 1/8 cup feta cheese
  • Olive oil for dressing
I would go with any sort of light vinaigrette on this salad, they would all taste great! This one is great for summer because everything is best served cold and the light dressing with the small bursts of citrus really hit the spot!

I also had some vegetarian sushi on the side featuring carrots, cucumber and avocado. 



That's a post workout meal right there for ya!

See ya tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment