Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Clean Eating Cinnamon Rolls

Ohhh yeah! You read that right. A healthier version of cinnamon rolls with whole ingredients, a little protein punch and a Vegan Fittie option!

First, lets recap. This morning I met a PNCC member at the club at 8am for a beautiful bike ride around Porters Neck which I really enjoyed! We completed 16 miles within an hour. Afterward, Mr. Rudary helped me put on my new pink handle bar wraps and pumped up my tires. Apparently, I was riding with them at 20 when they are supposed to be on 100. No wonder my legs were so tired...

Plans for the rest of the day include eating cinnamon rolls, a leg workout and Yin Deep Stretch Class at the Yoga Studio. Oh, and relaxin' with the Fitness Pups of course! 



Cinnamon Roll time!

Ever since I was a little kid, I have LOVED cinnamon rolls. When I was in grade school, my daddy used to take us kids to the mall every now and then to give my mom a break from us, and if we were good we would get a Cinnabon! Those things are melt in your mouth, amazing. But you know anything that tastes that good can't be too great for you. So, when I saw this healthified version online, I set out on a mission to make it Vegan Fittie friendly!

Vegan Cinnamon Rolls

Ingredients:



  • 2 Cups Almond Flour
  • 1/8 Tsp Sea Salt
  • 1/2 Tbsp Baking Soda
  • 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
  • 2 Tbsp Unsweetened Applesauce
  • 1 Tbsp Unsweetened Coconut  Milk
  • 1 Tbsp Honey (In Dough) 1/4 Cup Honey (In Filling) I substituted with sugarfree Maple Syrup
  • 1 Tsp Cinnamon (In Dough) 2 Tbsps Cinnamon (In Filling)
  • 2  Eggs I substituted with 2 tbsp flax seed soaked in 6 tbsp water
  • 4 Tbsps Ground Flax Seed

Directions
1. Mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and the 4 tablespoons of dry flaxseed.

2. Add in soaked flaxseed. (To soak flaxseed for egg substitute, add 1 tbsp flaxseed per egg, with 3 tbsp water per egg and allow to soak until it becomes gel-like, about 10-15 minutes).

3. Mix in applesauce.

4. Mix in honey or substitute with sugarfree maple syrup.

5. Mix in cinnamon and form a ball using your hands with the dough.

6. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to firm.

7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread dough out onto greased wax paper or foil and flatten using hands. This dough is too sticky for a rolling pin. 

8. Cut into 5 sections.

9. Add honey (or maple syrup) and spread evenly across dough.

10. Add cinnamon.

11. Roll into cinnamon rolls and cut in half.

12. Place in a greased cupcake tin and cook for 18-20 minutes. 


*Frosting (optional)

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons of vanilla protein powder 
1 tablespoon honey (I substituted this with Agave)
1/4 unsweetened coconut milk

13. Mix together while rolls bake to form a sweet, frosting consistency.

14. Top with frosting and enjoy!

These are about 175 calories a piece with 9 grams of protein!!

No comments:

Post a Comment