Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Running in Ireland and Four Books from my Childhood

Happy Wednesday fit friends all over the world!

My big brother is spending the week  in Ireland for work. Check out some of the pretty shots from his run yesterday morning...



I'm jealous! Now that I'm a runner, every time I visit a new place I can't wait to do my exploring by foot on early morning runs. New and beautiful sights make a good run that much better! Running is also a great way to get your workout in on vacation. 

Speaking of running, last night's practice was a good one! We met at the beach and got about 5 miles in intervaling back and forth between easy, moderate and hard speeds. I love workouts that are constantly changing because they keep me engaged and it's hard to get bored when you have to think about your next change of pace. After practice, we had a quick core workout featuring push ups, planks, obliques and other abdominal work. I always get excited for that part of the workout because I'm actually good at that stuff! Ha.


Today's part of the challenge seeks out four books. For the most part, I currently read a lot of health books about fitness, nutrition and as of late, running. I talk about those often on the blog when I come across a good one, so I'm going to instead talk about some of my favorite novels I enjoyed growing up. So, in order from my earliest years, to later childhood...

1. The Three Little Kittens


I can still recite the very beginning of this book by heart, "The three little kittens, they lost their mittens and they began to cry. Oh mother dear, we sadly fear, our mittens we have lost!" As a kid, my love for animals started with cats, and boy did I love them! I memorized this Little Golden Book cover to cover as soon as I was able to read on my own.

2. The Boxcar Children Series -Gertrude Chandler Warner


In elementary school, most girls my age were reading Babysitter's Club series. I was reading the Boxcar Children mystery books. I still remember during summers stopping at garage sales and buying every book they had in the series, I could not get enough of these books!

3. Summer Sisters -Judy Blume


This book was one of my favorites in middle and high school, as I read it several times throughout those years. I still enjoy this book and find it fun to read during the summer. It's a cute story of two best friends growing up and spending their summers together. A definite read for all girls from late middle school on.

4. Harry Potter Series -JK Rowling


I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan!! I read every book the day they each came out, staying up all hours of the night reading and reading until I was finished. The first book came out in sixth grade and the last one, I think I was in high school? I agree with the vast majority of folks who say, the books are wayyyyyy better than the movies. J.K. Rowling is a phenomenal and creative writer. Has anyone read her new book?

Share with us:
What is the prettiest place you have ever run?
What are some of your favorite books from childhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment