Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Candy Coma Anyone?

Good Morning!


How was your Easter weekend? I spent mine with these three cuties:


Yesterday, I dropped Michael off at the airport at 12:30 and being as happy as I was to have three days with him, it was pretty sad to watch him go. The pups absolutely adored him, as do I. So needless to say, when I got home and opened my Easter goodies from my momma, the Reese's egg and Russell Stover Iddy Biddy Bunnies lasted about...five minutes. That little candy binge was followed by a piece of leftover pizza from our date to Mellow Mushroom and then guess where I was...in my bed!

Pizza with olive oil & garlic sauce, tempeh and mozzerella cheese.

Michael and I at Mellow Mushroom

If you're like me, you don't have a ton of willpower when there's Easter candy around. Even the healthiest of us like to splurge a little, especially during holidays, and hey, there's nothing wrong with that! Here's the problem however. Eating unhealthy foods, especially in portions that are bigger than they probably should be, takes us on a high similar to that of an endorphin rush after a great workout or even drug intake. Just like drugs, alcohol and other addictive substances, that high is soon followed by a crash due to insulin levels going quickly up and then down. This can often leave us feeling not only full and sluggish, but very depressed. 

Thus, begins the vicious cycle. As soon as we are hungry again, our body automatically wants more of that "feel-good" food to put us in a better mood. It's the same thing as drinking alcohol for those of us who get that "depressed feeling" the day after a lot of booze. Because we are likely lacking in a lot of nutrients due to our not-so-clean last meal, we need to eat something and the only thing that sounds desirable is more candy, pizza, fast food, donuts or whatever it is that you like to eat when you're taking a break from your healthy lifestyle. This is where food becomes addictive and dangerous. 

I talk a lot about how moderation is key. We shouldn't deprive ourselves of really, any type of food because it's "bad." It's all about balance. However, just because we ate a bad meal, does not mean we should continue eating poorly for the entire day, the entire weekend or wait til next week to get back to our healthy lifestyle. 

As I moped around my apartment after my less than nutritious meal, I knew the only thing that was going to make me feel better was a good sweat session. It would be hard to start, but once I was finished I knew I'd be in a better mood, and my desire for any other "feel-good" food would likely dissipate. 


I was right! I had a run to complete to prepare for my half marathon this weekend so I went out, ran for about 45 minutes and was able to go to sleep feeling accomplished and happy that I hadn't ruined my entire day with bad food and no workout. The 330 calories I burnt on my run probably didn't quite cancel out the less than nutritious calories I had consumed in the candy and pizza, but it definitely helped. And it certainly boosted my mood, and created a motivating sense in me to make my next meal a healthy one. 

It's okay to splurge! But find a way to move and include as many healthy foods as possible in the meals leading up to a Holiday or vacation in which you know you are going to eat some not so healthy items. Doing as little damage as possible, while still enjoying your treats will keep you on the right path! Don't let yourself get sucked in to that vicious cycle, because the more you give into that circle of high sugary/high saturated fat foods, the more you will want them!

All in all my weekend was so, so good. I really enjoyed my time with Michael and the Fitness Pups! Missed my family a lot, as I always do on Holidays but talking with them on the phone last night made things a bit easier! I hope everyone had a nice Easter and took some time to remember why it is such a special day. 

He is not here, for he has risen! Just as he said. Matthew 28:6.



Easter gift from my mommy to help me celebrate and stay focused on My One Word for 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment