Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Outdoor Running/Walking Safety

My internal alarm clock went off at 4:30am this morning on my off day. Go figure! I tried to fall back asleep but ended up checking the weather and realizing the forecast was predicting a lot of rain today. So when 5:00am rolled around I figured I'd better get the fittie pups out for their morning exercise.

 5am stroll

 Muffin was one tired Pup!

 After one mile, Grady was ready for more!

Treat time!

After that, it felt so good outside I had to get out for a run. It's been so humid outside lately it is miserable to be out even for a few minutes. So I took advantage of the cool morning and jogged over to Greenfield Lake. I jogged .75 miles/walked .25 miles and continued that for the 4.5 miles around the lake.


I happened to notice this little sign as I walked oh so carefully over the slippery bridge that got me last week on my bike...



 I think they need to make that sign a little bigger!


Made it across safely this time!


 The lake looks beautiful in the morning

Topic of the morning: Outdoor Running/Walking Safety 

Once I had taken the "guard dogs" back inside and left on my own for my run, it was still a little dark out. I can't help but think of my father during times like these. Being a cop's daughter, you have things literally engrained in your head from the time you are a very small child. So, as I stopped for my walking intervals, I made note of all of the safety precautions I try to remember to take while out for a walk/run. Bear with me, the list is pretty long! (Thanks Daddy!)

1. Don't wear your headphones when it's dark out. When you can't see as well, you need to be able to hear your surroundings.

2. Know your route ahead of time. 

3. Tell someone where you are going, and about how long it should take you. 

4. Stay aware of your surroundings at all times.

5. It is also important to LOOK like you are aware. Predators are more likely to go after people who aren't paying attention or who seem to lack confidence. Head up, pay attention, stay alert.

6. When it is dark, or you are working through an injury or don't know the area well, don't completely tire yourself out.  You need to be able to get away quickly, dodge an animal or car if you need to. 

7. Wear your ID. You can get them in the form of a bracelet at www.roadid.com or get one of these cool Sprig arm bands I found at TJ Maxx for $4.00. It's an arm band with a zipper pocket just large enough for an id, some cash and your house key. Best part, it is cotton so it can go directly into the washing machine when you are done!



 8. Take your cell phone.  Use it as an iPod, that way you have a form of communication in case of an emergency.

9. Make sure you start and stay hydrated. Especially in the summer. Heat stroke kills people every year.

10. Be aware of slippery surfaces! Take it from me, you don't want to fall, especially if you're alone. Although it's nice to avoid the extra embarrassment, it'd be worse if you really hurt yourself and you were stuck all by yourself.

11. Avoid running straight at people with dogs. Dogs are protective of their owners. Approaching their master directly may cause the dog to go into protect mode and you could get bit.

12. Carry mace. A friend in college had this small pepper spray that she carried on a keychain. She got it for $10.00 at Walmart. Not a bad thing to have.

13. Be cautious of parked cars.  I always steer clear. For one, you don't want to get grabbed by some random "bad guy" and for two, they may not see you and could pull out suddenly possibly putting you in danger of getting hit.

14. Don't be a creature of habit. Stalkers prey on people who have the same routines every day. Don't run the same route, don't walk at the same time everyday. You are setting yourself up as an easy target.

15. Make yourself visible. If it is dark outside, make sure to wear light colored clothing. I have a pair of Lululemon tights with a reflective band outlining the pockets. It looks gray during the day time, but is reflective at night.

16. Whenever possible, go in pairs or groups. Safety in numbers!


What else do you do to practice safety when you exercise outdoors?



No comments:

Post a Comment