Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Secret to Flavorful Iced Tea

Recap first!

Tuesday was a wonderful off day for me and I enjoyed every second of it. I slept in til 8:30 which was really great. After a few days of not so great sleep, I think that was just what I needed. I took the Fitness Pups on a nice long walk and spent some time relaxing with them and catching up on Pretty Little Liars on Netflix.

I also baked a batch of cookies for Zachary which turned out great. He wanted the Oatmeal Pecan Chocolate Chip Protein Cookies I made for his birthday but with double the protein powder this time. When I doubled that, I ended up having to double the egg and peanut butter as well to get some more liquid back into it. They turned out great!

Grady was hangin' out, hoping to get some cookie crumbs


Tuesday nights are my evening to hang out with my good friend Molly. We met at Indochine, a local Wilmington restaurant that features delicious asian and thai food. I have only ever heard people raving about this restaurant and I know Zachary and I both love it. They offer quite a few vegan options and tons of tofu so it's a good spot for me.

Molly's Squid Pad Thai

My Tofu Salad- features broccoli, tomatoes and tofu on a bed of lettuce in thai peanut sauce. 


Enjoyable off day! :) Now...the iced tea secret....


It's hot and it's humid here in Wilmington. There is nothing more refreshing in the summer than an ice cold glass of tea! Did you know that drinking tea provides multiple benefits that your cup of coffee can't compete with? Plus, you still have the option of caffeinated or decaffeinated depending on which type of tea you choose.


So, making tea is easy right? Well I'm going to show you how to make it even better. If you are a tea drinker, I'm sure you have tried making your own iced tea and experience the watered down version after pouring the hot tea over ice. Gross! Here's the secret....



Let's say you are making a pitcher of iced tea. First, you are going to heat your water and steep your tea as normal. Then, pour that batch over ice cube trays and freeze. Now, making another batch the same way and put it into the pitcher and place it in the fridge. Once the "ice" cubes are frozen, your tea is ready to drink. Pour your tea over the tea cubes and now you can enjoy it in the warm weather without it getting watered down! Genius right? :)


Other things you may want to add in....

I like my tea unsweetened but if I'm in the mood for some sweetener I will typically use organic stevia. It does not have the aftertaste of splenda or equal, has zero calories and comes from a plant. It is all natural and safe to consume. You can also sweeten your tea with the natural sugars from lemons, limes, pomegranates, mangoes, oranges and other fruits. Some people also prefer to use honey. (Not vegan).

Mint, jasmine, honey and cinnamon are also popular additions. Also adding in a sugarfree juice makes teas taste awesome, although it will not increase the overall health benefits and may add calories so you want to be careful with that.


What combinations do you like in your tea?

During the summer I like berry flavored teas with fruits like limes and blueberries.




No comments:

Post a Comment