Monday, February 23, 2015

NEDAwareness 2015 Blast Off


In honor of NEDA week (National Eating Disorder Awareness), our #HealthyHabits2015 goal this week is to "Eliminate negative self-talk." Negative self-talk can become such a habit that we don't even know we are doing it. Here are some examples of negative self talk:
  • My whole week is ruined because I gained two pounds.
  • Wow, these jeans make my butt look huge.
  • If I could just fit into my skinny jeans again, I'd be so happy.
  • I goofed up at work, my boss probably thinks I'm an idiot now. 
  • I didn't work out at all today, I'm getting so fat!
  • If I go to the gym, people will make fun of my body.

This week, I'm going to challenge you all, (and no this is not just for women!) to pay attention to the things you say to yourself, both in your head and out loud. Stop, listen to your thoughts and then think about whether these thoughts are promoting positivism, or disrupting your progress toward your goals. This may seem difficult at first, and you may find yourself doing it much more often than you imagined you would. Becoming aware of exactly how much it occurs in your day to day is just the first step. Once you've identified something as negative self-talk, re-phrase it to a more positive statement.

For example:

Negative Self-Talk: If I could just stop snacking at night I could lose weight.

Positive Rephrase: There are many healthy options to work on my habit of overeating in the evening. I can be sure to add more protein to my meals during the day, make sure I'm eating enough calories and choose low calorie, low fat options if and when I do need an evening snack.

Make sense? Good luck with this week's challenge! I'll be back to talk more about NEDA tomorrow. Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment