Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Post Workout Tips- "Treating" Yourself


Happy Tuesday!

I just got done with my morning workout- a 60 minute bike sesh with several 3min working intervals worked in. I followed that up with just a few core moves including a machine abdominal crunch, back extension and some dumbbell oblique work.

I've spent the morning cleaning, doing laundry and getting some chores done and now it's reward time!


Relaxing by the pool with some reading material and of course, hydrating for another hot practice tonight! 



Ice cold water and Nuun electrolyte tabs! 

A big part of what keeps me motivated to continue running and working out is the rewards that I get from the lifestyle. Of course, we will get the aesthetic rewards of looking better and feeling more confident in our own skin when we eat better and exercise regularly. We also reap all the amazing benefits of healthy eating and exercise such as longevity, decreased risk for diseases, healthy weight maintenance, more energy, the list goes on and on.

I also find it helpful to treat myself to rewards as well. Especially during the weeks when you've got a ton of really hard workouts coming up. Sometimes it can be overwhelming to think about how you will possibly get through the next few weeks. For me, I like to take the "one workout at a time" approach. I tell myself, just get through this next workout, period. 

It helps me to set these little goals for myself and have some sort of reward once I complete them. I like to do things like allowing myself to lay out at the pool for a few hours if I get my morning workout in, trying that new beer I've had my eye on or maybe even enjoying some ice cream. I do agree with the saying, "we are not dogs, we should to reward ourselves with food." However, I also believe that everything in moderation is key, that we shouldn't deprive ourselves completely of foods we enjoy and that the best time to have them, is going to be right after a hard work out! 

Sometimes thinking about that weekly margarita or dinner with girlfriends is the only thing that will get you through your workouts. And you do NOT have to feel guilty about that. Just don't use your workout as an excuse to overindulge that meal, or throughout the week. Be realistic and consider what you truly earned based on the amount of calories you likely burned and your overall health and fitness goals. Find out what works best for you!

Your turn!
Tell us how you reward yourself for sticking with your health and fitness goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment