Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Race Recap

Sunday, I ran the Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Half Marathon here in North Carolina. For my 3rd half, I finished strong and at my targeted pace of sub 2:30 for the 13.1 miles. I'm actually proud of that time but I didn't push myself too awfully hard during this run because it was planned as a training run for my next half April 27th.

Hillary and I at the start line. We stayed together for 12 miles and then both put in a hard effort at the end and went our separate ways crossing the finish line just a few minutes apart!


At a 6:45 am start time, the race started out in the dark. The energy was crazy, with over 2600 people all at the start line at once!



I snapped a photo as we went over the bridge in the first couple miles but didn't take any more until the race was completed! 


Hillary and I quickly grabbed a half banana and a beer at the finish line to celebrate!


According to my watch, 13.2 miles in 2:29 burned me a whopping 1,559 calories. You know what that meant...



Big post-race meal! I actually wasn't able to eat it all. I did manage to get down my bagel, veggie omelet and fruit down, plus tons of water!



I spent the rest of the afternoon re-hydrating, eating and icing my knees and toes! No blisters, but man oh man did my big toes hurt. Surprisingly, after 48 hours, I have zero soreness. In my past half marathons, I was sore for a week! Gettin' better! 

I took two days off visiting a friend in Aiken, South Carlolina for St. Patricks Day and did no training! Today, I have an easy 30 minute run and back to running practice tomorrow to prep for a bright pink shiny medal at the Diva's Half Marathon in Myrtle Beach in less than 5 weeks! 


Also wanted to give a shout out to Hillary and all of my other teammates at Without Limits on awesome races, especially Pam Keenan who qualified for the Boston Marathon finishing 26.2 miles in just over 4 hours and 18 minutes. Speed demon!

No comments:

Post a Comment