Monday, March 3, 2014

Foods I'm Lovin' Lately-Vegetarian Eats!

So I know I have been extremely sporadic with the posts lately. Things have been crazy busy in my life but it's all going well! I've joined a running team for the time being (it's expensive!), but I have a half marathon in two weeks and one again at the end of April so I'm going to stick with it at least for now. I've also been enjoying some great foods I had wanted to try while vegan but was unable to enjoy at the time.

One thing is for sure, that switching back to vegetarian from being vegan for 9 months has made food prep and meals a lot easier. I have discovered so many yummy things since allowing dairy, whey and eggs back into my life. I wanted to share with you guys some of the super yummy foods I have discovered lately!

Greek Yogurt
Such a great source of protein! Love this for a breakfast option, a go-to snack or even to enjoy as a desert!

Key Lime is my favorite Chobani flavor

Did you know you can also freeze these? I buy them when they are on sale and freeze half of 'em. You're welcome!

Love the banana creme

Nuun Tabs
One of my awesome members (who also introduced me to my new running team) brought me these last week and I can't stop drinking them. Thankfully they are only 4 calories but you drop a tab into your water and they are fizzy and yummy! I have tried the Strawberry lemonade but there are a ton of other flavors. They have all the electrolytes and hydration benefits of a Gatorade without all the sugar.


Dymatize Elite XT Blueberry Muffin Protein
After trying the amazing blueberry muffin flavor, I have tried both vanilla and Cinnamon Bun flavors in this brand and I have to say, I was not impressed. However, if you are looking for a casein (slow releasing) protein to drink before bed, this Blueberry Muffin protein is the absolute best protein I've ever had in my life. All time favorite. Tastes like a straight up blueberry muffin!


Not as good for you, but another drink I have been enjoying after runs specifically is the Banana Creme Muscle Milk. Muscle milk has certainly come a long way since I used to drink it in college. It's sugar count is significantly down from those days, (9g carbs now) but man, does it taste good! 


Hard Boiled Eggs
Most convenient thing for me to prepare on the weekends. I buy either the large box of eggs or two boxes and I boil half. When I'm in a hurry in the mornings it's really easy for me to just grab a couple eggs on my way out. Usually I will eat one egg yolk and then just the whites of any additional eggs I eat. Egg yolks are high in cholesterol, so if you are someone who has high cholesterol in you or your family, you want to be careful about your intake of egg yolks. But they are a very convenient source of protein!


Cottage Cheese
Did you know that cottage cheese is a complete protein? All protein sources are made up of amino acids. Amino acids are the building blocks that make up a large portion of every single cell in our body. They are super important! Some amino acids are non-essential, meaning we don't have to get them from our diet because our body naturally makes them. Some however, are essential, meaning we must get them from our diet. This is why protein is so very important. Complete proteins like quinoa and cottage cheese, contain all of essential and non-essential amino acids. Great foods to add into your diet. I love fat free cottage cheese with grapes for breakfast!


Quest Bars
I heard so much about Quest bars from other bloggers and from nutrition accounts I follow on Twitter and have been wanting to try them. As soon as I switched back to vegetarianism, these were one of the first things on my list to get! Apparently, there is a new flavor- cookies and cream which is supposed to be amazing, but I haven't had a chance to try that flavor yet. But I have tried a few other flavors and they are as good as everyone has said! The great part about these is they are low in calorie, high in protein and only contain 1 gram of sugar! They also have a whopping 16g of fiber!


Question of the day:
What are some foods you have discovered and are enjoying lately? Share with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment