Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Workout #4 Run, Run Rudolph


In honor of celebrating the completion of my first Full marathon this weekend, I have a Christmas themed running workout for you guys today! If you are not a runner, this can be done in the same format on an elliptical or even walking, just adjust your pace as necessary.

In order to make this appropriate for all levels, I would like to introduce you to the Rated Perceived Exertion Scale, also referred to RPE by Fitness Professionals. If you don't already know what this is, basically, it is a self-rated scale from 1-10 in which you describe your intensity during a workout. Typically, 1 would be at a level so easy you could complete it in your sleep. 10 would be an intensity that you could not go any second longer. I usually rate 5 about 50% intensity, in which my heart rate has increased but I can still hold a conversation. In order to better describe this, I have created an illustration for you to use.


With that being said, here is Day Four of the 12 Days of Christmas Workouts!


By the way, if you were wondering about my marathon in Kiawah Island, I finished, but it wasn't pretty. Running my first full marathon was one of the most mentally and physically challenging things I have ever done in my life. I'm glad I did it of course, and yes, I will run another one. I loved the course at Kiawah because it was really flat and very beautiful as far as scenery goes. I wish I had known going in however, that the entire course is covered in shade. With it being 50 degrees by the middle of my race, I wore shorts thinking I would be warm. After about mile three, I had started sweating and from that point forward could not get warm due to the lack of sun on the course. I was very stiff the entire race and I know that held me back some. I would suggest tights for anyone running this race in the future! I'm proud to be done but can't wait to run one again and beat my time!

Have a great Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment