Monday, November 17, 2014

Ready to Bake Dog Treats, Mellowcreme Pumpkins and Ocean Isle Half Marathon

Happy Monday!

This weekend was exhausting but in a totally awesome, exciting way! I finally PR'd (Personal Record) on my half marathon time! YES!!! We'll get to that in a second. 

Friday, was a race night so I stayed in, watched some Law and Order SVU and baked some dog treats for the Fitness Pups. I found these at Whole Foods while I was picking up some probiotics last week in the refrigerated section.


They are vegetarian friendly and as you can see, contain no corn, wheat or soy. The main ingredients are oatmeal and peanut butter. The pups went crazy while they were warming up in the oven. Peanut butter always gets those babies goin'!


You can't tell, but there are two trays of nine cookies each. The cookies look small before you bake them. But my pups only get about 1/4 of a cookie at a time. 


Since they are vegetarian and they smelled amazing in the oven, I had to try them. I have to make sure they are safe for consumption before I give them to Grady and Muffin, right!? 


They are super good. Not too sweet, but I can tell why the Fitness Pups love 'em so much. Yum!

Saturday morning came early, although I anticipated race morning jitters and an earlier than planned wake-up. Although my alarm was set for 4:17am to get out to Ocean Isle by 6, I was WIDE AWAKE at 2 am. Muffin decided last week that every night at 2am was time to get scratches. So we got in a wonderful habit of laying on mom's chest til she wakes up and whining to get pets.


She's hard to resist. Around 2:30am, I accepted the fact that I was too excited to go back to sleep. Grady was pretty confused about what exactly was going on at this time...


Ha! What a cutie. We went for a walk, I showered and headed out to Dunkin Donuts for some coffee! The drive to Ocean Isle was super easy and I pulled up to the start line parking area at 6am. My half marathon started at 8am but I had an extra four miles to run to stay on track for my marathon training plan.


Pre-race selfy! Can I just add, it was absolutely FREEZING and crazy windy Saturday morning. I'm still not quite sure how I ended up with a PR after a four mile warm up and freezing wind. But, I'm not complainin'! I took some really pretty photos during my warm-up run. Ocean Isle is gorgeous!







This was my second time running here this year and I absolutely love this spot. I'd definitely run this race again. Outside of a straight up the bridge mile 1 and back over it around mile 3, this course is super flat. I think it was probably a little colder than expected, but I'll take that over humidity any day. It was a pretty small race, with about 75 half marathon runners and then others running a 1-mile and 5k race. 


Previous to this race, my personal record for a half marathon was 2 hours and 12 minutes. I ran that my very first half marathon, completely untrained (10 months post-knee surgery as well) when I was 22. I have been running seriously since February of this year and it took me five halves to beat that time! Hard work is finally starting to pay off! I finished in 2:08:46! 


Medal #6 on the year! 5 halves and one 15k. I can't believe in just four weeks, I will be earning my seventh and last medal of the year, at my first full marathon! Yikes!

I always like to eat something rewarding after race day, and that's usually some sort of sweet treat! Generally, I choose the extra large pixie sticks, but I had been craving the mellowcreme pumpkins from Halloween and hadn't eaten a single one this season. When I saw them on sale for 99cents at Harris Teeter the night before my race, I had to grab them. I did however, separate them into single serving size bags so that I would not be tempted to overindulge!


So good! Now, I'm off to teach class. I have a feeling this week is going to fly on by, which is great, considering I'm going to Seattle next Monday! Yay!

Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment